Wednesday, April 29, 2009

aprons




For many, the apron represents the stereotypical housewife of the 1940s and 50s, but long before aprons were thought of as a functional piece of the wardrobe. They were used to carry essential kitchen utensils, for gathering and carrying eggs and for transporting kindling wood. Aprons were not only used in the household kitchen and on the family farm. Butchers, welders and bakers have always used aprons to protect both their clothing and bodies from their work.

Ever since I was a little girl I loved to wear an apron. My grandma Annie would bring me into the kitchen, tie one around my waist and put me to work...or at least to observe. Her kitchen was where my love of cooking began. I must admit, I am a messy cook and I have a habit of wiping my hands on whatever is on my body at that time. I have begun making my own aprons for myself and my dearest of friends. I am excited about them. They are pretty and functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment